The wait is over, the next version of our favorite and the largest community supported Linux distribution has finally launched officially.
Ubuntu 8.10 comes with some excellent new features and enhancements and promises a more secure and stable Linux platform. The basic focus in this new release is to introduce a better network integration in Ubuntu for both WiFi and 3G.
Here is a list of some of the new enhancements.
- 3G Support – Improvements to the network manager in Ubuntu 8.10 makes it simple to detect and connect to 3G networks and manage connectivity.
- Carry on a USB Drive – Now a simple application in Ubuntu will allow users to write Ubuntu to a USB drive.
- Guest Accounts – A handy new feature just the same as the one found in Windows.
- Tabs in Nautilus – It means that now when you open file browser window in Ubuntu you get tabs.
- Auto-install Printer Drivers – Drivers for most printers will now be automatically detected and installed.
- Better Flash Support – Flash for Linux just became a lot better.
and a lot more.
Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex is supported until 2010 and it should be noted that it is not an LTS release. It has already been pushed for download to a number of mirrors. Use the link below to select a mirror of your choice and download the ISO.
Don’t forget to take a look at the History of Ubuntu.